So, recently I decided that I definitely do want to print again. And I need something to print. The only criteria is that it needs to be something I enjoy doing. The openness of that brief makes it very difficult to decide on what I want to print but also another very important aspect has […]
First of all, I have a little explaining to do as to why I’ve been so quiet. I’ve been out of the loop of screen printing for what seems like the past year. Anxiety struck me hard when my first two ranges started to sell and were becoming successful. The success and pressure of needing to deliver […]
I’ve always been very inspired and influenced by trees in the landscape of England, and I’m especially interested in the visual layering I see all around me in rural Hampshire. Lines of trees sit atop fields with hedgerow boundaries, walls and fences. Cover Story was the first range which I printed and was one of the […]
The Farm Yarns cushion and lampshade printing went very well indeed and I’ve now printed a run of lampshades and both cushion designs. These are all available at my Etsy and Folksy stores. Although it’s been a huge amount of work, making up screens, printing and cleaning out screens, I have found the process very […]
I spent most of Saturday mixing, checking and changing the inks for the new Farm Yarns range in preparation for printing – I’m very happy with how the colours are looking!
My first items in the Cover Story and Farm Yarns ranges are now available to buy: johnbloordesign.bigcartel.com
These are the first cushions I have printed, and are from the Cover Story range. I created one ‘focal’ cushion design and twelve more abstract cushion designs for the range, selected four of them to print first of which this is the first one – printed in two different colourways. It doesn’t even have a name yet!
So, this is the basic countryside design…from here some of the elements will become background (colour) only and some will become foreground only but I’m pretty happy with this! From this the entire range will grow…
This weekend I’ve started my first real production run, fixing three things which weren’t quite right before: artwork is now correct size for lampshade, ink colours are now correct and I used hardboard platens to fix the linen to for the entire six screen print run so the fabric will remain in place. Today I […]
Today I’ve sorted out another important part of printing these ranges – getting the colours exactly as I designed them. The first lampshade test prints were pretty good but the yellow was too bright and the dark blue was too dark. In order to mix these Permatone inks properly I had to invest in some […]